German & British Military Timepieces (Vol I & II) by Konrad Knirim are the ultimate reference books for the advanced or even casual collector of German or British Military Timepieces.
The two books are large, beautifully detailed reference books documenting the wide variety of chronometers, deck watches, pocket watches, wristwatches and clocks used by the German and British Army, Navy and Air Force in the 19th and 20th century. There are also chapters on watches used by Commonwealth and French Forces as well as Japan.
Konrad Knirim came to fame when he produced the first book: German Military Timepieces in 2002 (Vol 1), which established him as the foremost authority in this genre.
British Military Timepieces (Vol II) describes all British Military Timepieces:
– the precision pendulum clocks of the Royal Observatory
– the chronometers of the Royal Navy
– RN ship’s and other wall clocks RAF mantle clocks and instrument timers
– aircraft clocks and aircrew watches from the RFC, the RNAS and the RAF
– chronometer watches and deck watches of the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force
– pocket watches and timers of all three services
– wrist watches, chronographs and diver’s watches until today
– the appendix contains Japanese, Australian, US, French and Canadian timepieces.
German Military Timepieces contains 636 pages and describes over 1000 timepieces with excellent supporting photographs throughout.
British Military Timepieces contains 800 pages and describes over 1200 timepieces with excellent supporting photographs throughout.
Both are bi-lingual with each page having two texts; English to the left and German to the right.
The books cover: Ships-Chronometers, Torpedoboat-Chronometers, Ships-Clocks, Navigation Watches, Combat Swimmers Watches, Torpedo Timers, Aircraft-Clocks, Message CenterClocks, Chronographs, Bomber-Stopwatches, Pilot’s Watches, Artillery Chronographs, Instrument Clocks, Decoration Watches, Observatory Clocks, Chronometers, Chronometer Watches, Deck Watches, Pocket Watches, Ship‘s Clocks, Zig-Zag Clocks, Aircraft Clocks, Instrument Clocks, Mantle Clocks, WT Watches, Asdic Timers, Artillery Stop Watches, Trench Watches, Waterproof Wrist Watches, Wrist Chronographs, Pilot‘s Watches, Diver‘s Watches, and General Service Watches.
These books are must for the collector of military timepieces and marine chronometers but will provide a most pleasant browsing experience for almost any horological collector or researcher.